No combat role for women personnel as of now: Army study
New Delhi: Around 200 new vacancies for granting permanent commission to women officers will be created in army but they will have to wait for some more time before getting combat roles, an Army study has said.
The study, under South Western Army Commander Lt Gen Gyan Bhushan, was ordered by Army Headquarters to take a holistic review of the role of women officers and their aspirations.
The study, completed in March, was discussed at the Army Commanders` Conference last week.
It has recommended opening up of 200 more avenues for permanent commission to women but recommended some more time for army to take a final decision on their role in combat, Army sources said.
The study had also compared the working conditions and roles of women officers in countries such as China, Russia, the UK and the US, which recently inducted females in combat duties.
The 200 vacancies for women officers are to be created in branches, including legal and ordnance corps branches, where they already get permanent commission.
Before finalising the study report, the team of Lt Gen Bhushan met around 350 women officers from all the commands of the force and assessed their ability to withstand toughness required for soldiering.
It also met 120 lady cadets at the Officer`s Training Academy at Chennai and held deliberations with the Director Generals of the various arms and services in the force along with the heads of CRPF and BSF.
The study has also given its views on the impact of increased recruitment of women officers can have on the non-combat postings of their male counterparts, they said.
At present, women officers are posted in peaceful stations only.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in