No compromise on nuclear safety: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Monday said there
will be no compromise on nuclear safety or livelihood of any
section of society in India`s pursuit of atomic power, a
statement that comes against the backdrop of anti-nuclear
protests in Kudankulam and Jaitapur.
Addressing a joint sitting of Parliament, President
Pratibha Patil asserted that the country would more than
double its nuclear power generating capacity in the 12th Five
Year Plan period from 2012-17.
"My government attaches the highest priority to safety
while harnessing nuclear energy, and will not compromise on
safety or the livelihood of any section of society in the
pursuit of our nuclear energy programme," she said.
Patil`s remarks come a day after Japan observed the first
anniversary of a massive earthquake and a devastating tsunami that killed several thousands and crippled nuclear power plants in Fukushima.
"After the Fukushima accident in Japan in March 2011, my
government ordered technical reviews of all safety systems of nuclear power plants in the country," she said.
The reports of the safety reviews were made public and
their recommendations for enhancing safety were being
implemented, Patil said.
The President noted that the Nuclear Safety Regulatory
Authority Bill has been introduced in Parliament.
"The installed capacity of nuclear plants in the country
has risen to 4780 MW, and is expected to further increase to
10,080 MW by the end of the 12th Plan," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das