No compulsory frisking at Metro stations
New Delhi: The CISF has stopped compulsory
frisking of passengers at all Metro stations in the national
capital, saying that the exercise was leading to long queues
at the stations.
The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), which takes
care of Metro security, will now frisk only on the basis of
profiling and in case of suspicion.
Sources, however, said the exercise could be restarted
before the Independence Day or the Commonwealth Games.
"The queues were getting very long. During rush hours,
queues use to extend even till the entry point of the metro
station. Now profiling would be done through CCTV cameras and
manually," a source said.
Metro spokesperson could not be reached for comments.
They said baggage checks will screen for any IEDs and
bombs, suspicious men can be tracked down through profiling.
"Conscious decision has been taken by all the agencies
involved keeping in view all the security aspects that
frisking will be carried out only in case of suspicion and
profiling of the commuter. 100 per cent baggage check will
continue," a source said.
While the authorities insist on profiling, some
passengers feel frisking should be carried on while others
feel the new decision will not make any difference.
"Without frisking, a sense of security is gone. Anybody
can walk in with gun or something. Profiling of so many people
at one time is not possible," Ajay Chadha, a salesman, who
commute through metro train, said.
However, his friend said, "the frisking earlier was also
not very strict. It was just for the sake of formality. So
nothing new now."
The sources said that compulsory frisking in not carried
out anywhere in the world.
Security officials on the condition of anonymity,
however, said India is not like other countries and threat
perception is high here.
"May be just before the Independence Day or the
Commonwealth Games, compulsory frisking would be back. At
times, compulsory frisking done in a proper way helps prevent
any outward incident," the source said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!