No consensus yet on lifting AFSPA from J&K
New Delhi: The Union Government on Wednesday said
that there was no consensus yet on the issue of lifting the
Armed Forces Special Powers Act (AFSPA) from some areas of
Jammu and Kashmir.
Official sources while acknowledging that AFSPA had come
into force only as a temporary measure to effectively deal
with militancy in the border state, however, said it is still
being debated whether the time is ripe to revoke the military
Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah is pushing
for scrapping the act for which there is a strong resistance
from army which has voiced serious reservation.
The Union Home Ministry has backed Omar but at the same
time agreed with the view of the Congress, the junior partner
in the ruling National Conference-led coalition in the state,
that there should be more coordination and consultation on the
The sources also said the government is confident that
some way would be found to overcome the hurdle in the
commissioning of the Koodankulam Nuclear power plant in Tamil
There is stiff opposition to the Indo-Russian joint
venture from the locals over safety issues in the wake of the
Fukushima nuclear crisis in Japan.
The sources, however, said there is no doubt that the
apprehension of the locals over the safety of the nuclear
plant should be allayed.
Prime Minister has already set up a panel of experts to
address the safety concerns of the people.
Singh will come out right at the end, they said,
asserting that there is no alternative to nuclear energy in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow