No conviction if any doubt about prosecution claim: SC
New Delhi: Benefit of doubt should always go to the accused in cases based on circumstantial evidence if the there is any doubt about the prosecution theory which is inconsistent with the innocence of the person charged, the
Supreme Court has held.
"We are of the view that in a case relating to circumstantial evidence, the court should see the circumstances very carefully before arriving at a finding of
guilt of the person concerned and yet if there is any doubt
which is inconsistent with the innocence of the accused, the
benefit should go to the accused," a bench of justices Asok
Kumar Ganguly and Deepak Verma said in a judgement.
The apex court passed the judgement while altering the
conviction of Yomeshbhai Pranshankar Bhatt to Section 304-Part
II(culpable homicide not amounting to murder) from 302
IPC(murder) for setting ablaze his maid-servant at the
latter`s house following an altercation in Vadodara.
According to the prosecution, Bhatt had gone to the house
of his maid servant and set her ablaze after she refused
to join duty as he was reportedly paying her a measly Rs 375
He was sentenced to life imprisonment by the sesssions
court and the Gujarat High Court dismissed his appeal, after
which he appealed in the apex court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site