No cut in budget for procuring essential equipment
New Delhi: Even as his Ministry is preparing itself for curtailment of funds, Defence Minister AK Antony Saturday said there will be no cut in budget for procuring equipment essential for operational preparedness of armed forces.
"Everything depends on the entire financial situation of the government...For ammunition and platforms essential for operational preparedness of the armed forces, there would not be any cut," he told reporters on the sidelines of an IDSA function here.
The Minister was asked if there would be delays in the procurement of weapon systems for armed forces due to economic slowdown and austerity measures.
He said in view of cost-cutting measures, the defence forces have been asked by the Ministry to concentrate on prioritising their procurements.
In a recent meeting, Antony had told the three Services Vice-Chiefs that they should adopt a "focussed approach" for the remaining part of the fiscal and speed up procurements which have a direct linkage to their operational readiness.
Meanwhile, the Defence Minister awarded the prestigious K Subrahmanyam Award to academician Kanti Bajpai for excellence in research on strategic and security issues.
He advised the Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA) to prioritise its resources to respond to changes that are taking place in and around India, so that its research outputs are "authentic, credible, and of high quality."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city