No decision by Home Ministry on Afzal Guru yet: Sushilkumar Shinde
New Delhi: The Home Ministry has not yet taken any decision on the mercy petition of Parliament attack case convict Afzal Guru.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said on Tuesday that the file related to the mercy petition of Guru, returned by President Pranab Mukherjee for review by him, was still with the Home Ministry.
"So far, the file (Guru`s) is with the Home Ministry. It has not come to me yet. So far, I have seen only one file of mercy petition and that was of (26/11 terrorist) Ajmal Kasab," he told reporters here.
Kasab was hanged in Yerawada jail in Pune on November 21.
Earlier, both Delhi government and the Home Ministry had recommended that Guru`s mercy petition, filed by his wife, be rejected by the President.
However, after Shinde took charge as Home Minister on August 1, the file was sent back by the President for a review by Shinde.
Asked whether any tension or emotion arose along the Indo-Pak border following the hanging of Kasab, Shinde said, "When you do your duty you keep aside emotion and do your duty."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Know why sex loses its steam in couples