No decision on Food Security Bill at Congress top brass meet
New Delhi: Congress top brass on Friday met to discuss the mechanism to be adopted to push through the party`s pet scheme on food security.
Amid reservations expressed in several quarters on bringing an ordinance to push through the key measure, Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary indicated the party`s preference to bring a bill in Parliament with consensus of parties.
She, however, said, "If there is a blockade as we had seen then, we have to think. Food has to reach the poor."
At the Congress Core Group meeting chaired by Sonia Gandhi, no final decision was taken on the issue of ordinance.
Sources said another meeting could be required to decide on whether to bring ordinance or convene special session or go for the normal session, which means bringing it in the Monsoon session.
A general view in the party is that the ordinance route should be avoided and efforts should be made to bring the parties on board as escalating confrontation with the opposition will not serve any purpose since there is no urgency to go in for early polls.
To a question on NCP chief Sharad Pawar reportedly voicing concern over the ordinance route, Chowdhary dismissed contentions of any division in the UPA on the issue.
"There is no division between Congress and NCP. We have great regard for what Sharad Pawar says. Our intent is also that it should come through Parliament after discussions with all."
Opposition parties have already rejected the ordinance idea and had even disapproved any special session suggesting that the Monsoon session could be advanced to pass the bill early if the government so desired.
The Telangana issue also came up for a mention at the Core Group meeting but no decision has been taken. It will be discussed further, the sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Panel discussion on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- What Yakub Memon did in minutes before being hanged
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez