No decision taken on banning opinion polls: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday said it has "not taken a decision" on the issue of banning opinion polls as there are "too contradictory views" on the proposal of the Election Commission in this regard.
The EC has proposed to ban the publication of opinion polls during elections.
Congress spokesperson PC Chacko said there are divergent views among political parties on it as the issue stretch from that of freedom of expression to conduct of free and fair elections.
"We have not taken a decision. There are too contradictory views on it. Election Commission`s proposal is more strict and wider. May be a decision has to be taken," he told reporters.
Law Minister Kapil Sibal, had, yesterday said that there is no move "at this time" to ban opinion polls and said such a decision cannot be taken without consulting Opposition parties.
"There is no move to ban opinion polls at this time," Sibal told a news agency.
He had also said, "As it is, no government should ban opinion polls without consulting political parties."
Earlier, sources in the government had said any decision to ban opinion polls will be taken after consulting the Election Commission which had moved the proposal.
Sibal had recently told the Lok Sabha that "as regards pre-poll election survey, there is a proposal of the EC to restrict the publication of opinion polls during elections. The proposal is under consideration of the government".
On June 13, Attorney General GE Vahanvati had supported the Commission`s proposal to ban publication and broadcast of opinion polls between the announcement of election schedule and the final phase of polling.
The existing law allows EC to ban them just 48 hours prior to voting.
The poll panel has proposed that there should be a prohibition on publication and broadcast of the results of opinion polls starting from the date of notification of elections till the completion of the last phase of polls to Lok Sabha and state assemblies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next