No decision taken on banning opinion polls: Congress
New Delhi: The Congress on Tuesday said it has "not taken a decision" on the issue of banning opinion polls as there are "too contradictory views" on the proposal of the Election Commission in this regard.
The EC has proposed to ban the publication of opinion polls during elections.
Congress spokesperson PC Chacko said there are divergent views among political parties on it as the issue stretch from that of freedom of expression to conduct of free and fair elections.
"We have not taken a decision. There are too contradictory views on it. Election Commission`s proposal is more strict and wider. May be a decision has to be taken," he told reporters.
Law Minister Kapil Sibal, had, yesterday said that there is no move "at this time" to ban opinion polls and said such a decision cannot be taken without consulting Opposition parties.
"There is no move to ban opinion polls at this time," Sibal told a news agency.
He had also said, "As it is, no government should ban opinion polls without consulting political parties."
Earlier, sources in the government had said any decision to ban opinion polls will be taken after consulting the Election Commission which had moved the proposal.
Sibal had recently told the Lok Sabha that "as regards pre-poll election survey, there is a proposal of the EC to restrict the publication of opinion polls during elections. The proposal is under consideration of the government".
On June 13, Attorney General GE Vahanvati had supported the Commission`s proposal to ban publication and broadcast of opinion polls between the announcement of election schedule and the final phase of polling.
The existing law allows EC to ban them just 48 hours prior to voting.
The poll panel has proposed that there should be a prohibition on publication and broadcast of the results of opinion polls starting from the date of notification of elections till the completion of the last phase of polls to Lok Sabha and state assemblies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok