No discrimination for being Muslim: Emraan
Mumbai: In a U-turn, actor Emraan Hashmi, who had alleged that he was denied a flat by a housing society because he was Muslim, today claimed
there was no discrimination against him and the controversy arose because of a "miscommunication".
"The dispute between me and the members of Nibbana housing society has been resolved. The society had not discriminated against me. There had been a miscommunication," Hashmi, who had sparked a furore with his allegation of religious profiling, told reporters after a hearing on his complaint at the State Minorities Commission.
Hashmi`s lawyer Majeed Memon said that a broker Jagjit Arora had told the actor that the society had refused to sell the flat as Hashmi was a Muslim.
"The secretary of the society today told Emraan that they had not discriminated against the actor and that if anyone in the building wants to sell their flat then Emraan can buy it," Memon said.
Secretary J P Chatri told the Commission that "they would not refuse the actor on religious grounds as there are several other Muslims residing in the building," the lawyer said.
The owner of the flat D U Suvarna, who was also present during the hearing, said he would be more than happy to sell the flat to the actor who is like a "son" to him.
"I have not decided on what I will do with my flat. But if I decide to sell the flat then my first choice would be Hashmi," Suvarna said.
On July 31, the actor approached the Minorities Commission accusing the housing society in posh Pali Hill of religious profiling by refusing a No Objection Certificate (NOC) to him to purchase a flat in the society.
The society houses film and television actors including well known villain Prem Chopra.
"The issue has been blown out of proportion by the media. It was a miscommunication and has been resolved after all the parties sat across the table today," Naseem Siddiqui, Chairman of the Minorities Commission said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi