No discrimination for being Muslim: Emraan
Mumbai: In a U-turn, actor Emraan Hashmi, who had alleged that he was denied a flat by a housing society because he was Muslim, today claimed
there was no discrimination against him and the controversy arose because of a "miscommunication".
"The dispute between me and the members of Nibbana housing society has been resolved. The society had not discriminated against me. There had been a miscommunication," Hashmi, who had sparked a furore with his allegation of religious profiling, told reporters after a hearing on his complaint at the State Minorities Commission.
Hashmi`s lawyer Majeed Memon said that a broker Jagjit Arora had told the actor that the society had refused to sell the flat as Hashmi was a Muslim.
"The secretary of the society today told Emraan that they had not discriminated against the actor and that if anyone in the building wants to sell their flat then Emraan can buy it," Memon said.
Secretary J P Chatri told the Commission that "they would not refuse the actor on religious grounds as there are several other Muslims residing in the building," the lawyer said.
The owner of the flat D U Suvarna, who was also present during the hearing, said he would be more than happy to sell the flat to the actor who is like a "son" to him.
"I have not decided on what I will do with my flat. But if I decide to sell the flat then my first choice would be Hashmi," Suvarna said.
On July 31, the actor approached the Minorities Commission accusing the housing society in posh Pali Hill of religious profiling by refusing a No Objection Certificate (NOC) to him to purchase a flat in the society.
The society houses film and television actors including well known villain Prem Chopra.
"The issue has been blown out of proportion by the media. It was a miscommunication and has been resolved after all the parties sat across the table today," Naseem Siddiqui, Chairman of the Minorities Commission said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?