‘No dramatic decision be expected on Siachen’
New Delhi: Ahead of the talks with Pakistan on Siachen, Defence Minister A K Antony on Friday sought to lower the expectations, saying that no "dramatic announcement or decision" should be anticipated.
He said India will stick to its stand on the issue at the Defence Secretary-level talks in Islamabad on June 11-12.
He did not specify, but was apparently referring to India`s stand that there should be proper authentication of current troop positions in Siachen by both the countries.
"Don`t expect dramatic announcement or decision there on an issue which is very very important for us, specially in the context of national security... But (from) one discussion, you can`t expect a dramatic announcement," Antony said here.
Interacting with reporters after felicitating athletes from three Services, Antony said Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma will explain India`s stand during the talks with Pakistan.
"Our stand is there and the Defence Secretary will explain the stand there," he said.
Antony stressed that India has a "clear cut position" on the Siachen issue.
"They (defence secretaries of both the sides) are going to have the discussion there. But we have already discussed this in detail. We have very clear cut position, since discussions are going to take place, I don`t want to reply it here," he said.
The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) had yesterday discussed the position maintained by India on Siachen issue.
Maintenance of troops in the glaciated mountainous region above 15,000 feet is costing both countries immensely in terms of monetary as also human resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'