‘No dramatic decision be expected on Siachen’
New Delhi: Ahead of the talks with Pakistan on Siachen, Defence Minister A K Antony on Friday sought to lower the expectations, saying that no "dramatic announcement or decision" should be anticipated.
He said India will stick to its stand on the issue at the Defence Secretary-level talks in Islamabad on June 11-12.
He did not specify, but was apparently referring to India`s stand that there should be proper authentication of current troop positions in Siachen by both the countries.
"Don`t expect dramatic announcement or decision there on an issue which is very very important for us, specially in the context of national security... But (from) one discussion, you can`t expect a dramatic announcement," Antony said here.
Interacting with reporters after felicitating athletes from three Services, Antony said Defence Secretary Shashikant Sharma will explain India`s stand during the talks with Pakistan.
"Our stand is there and the Defence Secretary will explain the stand there," he said.
Antony stressed that India has a "clear cut position" on the Siachen issue.
"They (defence secretaries of both the sides) are going to have the discussion there. But we have already discussed this in detail. We have very clear cut position, since discussions are going to take place, I don`t want to reply it here," he said.
The Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) had yesterday discussed the position maintained by India on Siachen issue.
Maintenance of troops in the glaciated mountainous region above 15,000 feet is costing both countries immensely in terms of monetary as also human resources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'