No dues pending against Speaker: Govt
New Delhi: The Urban Development Ministry on Tuesday said there were no dues pending against Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on account of her family`s stay in the bungalow alloted to her father Babu Jagjivan Ram.
The Ministry in a statement here said bungalow number 6 at Krishna Menon Marg was the official residence of Babu Jagjivan Ram and was alloted to his wife Indrani Devi for life following his death.
"After she passed away, the family members of Indrani Devi vacated 6, Krishna Menon Marg, New Delhi by 30.11.2002, and intimation in this regard was given to CPWD, NDMC, Directorate of Estates and other concerned authorities," the Ministry said.
It said that none of the family members of Indrani Devi occupied the premises afterwards and Meira Kumar, even as Union Minister resided in her private accommodation.
A no-dues certificate was accordingly issued on 27th March, 2009, the Ministry said.
"Based on these facts, the Damages Recovery Case of Rs 1.98 crore against the family members of Indrani Devi was duly withdrawn on 08.12.2011 by the Directorate of Estates. There are no outstanding dues against Meira Kumar on any account," the statement said.
Earlier in the day, the Central Information Commission had directed the UD Ministry to disclose information related to allotment, occupation and use of the bungalow by family members of Indrani Devi including Kumar.
The direction came while the Commission was hearing an appeal filed by RTI activist Subhash Agrawal who had sought details, including file notings and correspondences related to the said bungalow.
An RTI query filed by Agrawal last year had found that a bill of Rs 1.98 crore was due as pending rent from Kumar for occupation of the bungalow since 1986 after the demise of her father Jagjivan Ram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India