No dues pending against Speaker: Govt
New Delhi: The Urban Development Ministry on Tuesday said there were no dues pending against Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar on account of her family`s stay in the bungalow alloted to her father Babu Jagjivan Ram.
The Ministry in a statement here said bungalow number 6 at Krishna Menon Marg was the official residence of Babu Jagjivan Ram and was alloted to his wife Indrani Devi for life following his death.
"After she passed away, the family members of Indrani Devi vacated 6, Krishna Menon Marg, New Delhi by 30.11.2002, and intimation in this regard was given to CPWD, NDMC, Directorate of Estates and other concerned authorities," the Ministry said.
It said that none of the family members of Indrani Devi occupied the premises afterwards and Meira Kumar, even as Union Minister resided in her private accommodation.
A no-dues certificate was accordingly issued on 27th March, 2009, the Ministry said.
"Based on these facts, the Damages Recovery Case of Rs 1.98 crore against the family members of Indrani Devi was duly withdrawn on 08.12.2011 by the Directorate of Estates. There are no outstanding dues against Meira Kumar on any account," the statement said.
Earlier in the day, the Central Information Commission had directed the UD Ministry to disclose information related to allotment, occupation and use of the bungalow by family members of Indrani Devi including Kumar.
The direction came while the Commission was hearing an appeal filed by RTI activist Subhash Agrawal who had sought details, including file notings and correspondences related to the said bungalow.
An RTI query filed by Agrawal last year had found that a bill of Rs 1.98 crore was due as pending rent from Kumar for occupation of the bungalow since 1986 after the demise of her father Jagjivan Ram.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit!
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"