No final decision on NCTC: Chidambaram
NEW DELHI: There will be no National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC) as of now, Home Minister P Chidambaram hinted on Saturday after the government failed to convince dissenting chief ministers over the need to have an all-powerful one-stop anti-terror hub.
After day-long deliberations with state chief ministers failed to break the logjam over NCTC, the home minister said: "No decision has been taken as yet. The final decision has not been taken."
He said all state chief ministers "recognised the need" to have an anti-terror agency but raised questions over the functioning and powers of the proposed organisation.
Chidambaram said the questions asked in the conference convened by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh were why should the NCTC conduct operations even in exceptional cases without prior notice to state police forces and why the organisation should come under the Intelligence Bureau.
"We will eventually examine (the issues raised) and the government will take the final decision," he said, adding he had asked the dissenting chief ministers that the "gaps" in fighting terrorism "will not be filled in by normal police officers".
"We feel NCTC can fill that gap. If not the NCTC, then some other body and that body has to be given some powers," the minister said.
"All their suggestions would be carefully examined. I came to the conference with an open mind and I left the conference with an open mind," said a disappointed home minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Now, Nashik farmers sell fresh grapes online!
- Watch: Paraplegic Deepa Malik talks about her achievements!
- Soldier buried under Siachen avalanche snow rescued after six days
- Mumbai: Mobile app to fight ISIS influence among youth across India
- Panel discussion on demand for expulsion of Wahabi Syllabus from Universities- Part IV
- 12 men rape British teen girl for over 13 months; slapped with 140 years in jail
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen survivor Lance Naik Hanumanthappa brought to Delhi, Army chief Dabir Singh visits RR hospital
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen