No fresh cases of Congo fever
New Delhi: No fresh cases of Congo fever
have been reported from Sanand in Gujarat where three persons
succumbed to the deadly disease even as a six-member central
team began investigations into the outbreak.
Apart from the three deaths reported, two cases are
being monitored, health ministry officials said.
Surveillance activity began in the affected area.
Around 33 teams deputed by the state government have carried
out house to house visits in six villages and three hamlets
near village Kolat in Sanand covering a population of more
than 26,000 people.
One hundred cases of fever were detected but all of
them have recovered except for two, who are being monitored,
senior officials said.
A patient has high fever and bodyache and if not
treated in time could suffer brain haemorrhage.
A total of 58 samples have been collected from the
contacts, including hospital staff. Forty-five of them have
already tested negative at NIV, Pune.
The state Animal Husbandry Department is also
conducting surveillance among domestic animals.
The Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation has also surveyed
58 hospitals for the past 15 days to detect any unusual deaths
in their hospitals. But not a single case has been reported
for viral hemorrhagic fever, they said.
Recommendations of WHO on prevention and treatment
have also been obtained and shared with the Central Team and
National Institute of Virology today said there was no
need to panic as the transmission of the high risk category
virus was slow and it could be arrested with isolation of
The virus at present appears to be confined to Gujarat
from where NIV had received samples and the state government
had started screening of all suspected cases, Dr A C Mishra,
Director, NIV, said.
30-year-old Amina Momin of Kolat, about 35km from
here, was the first victim of CCHF. The doctor and nurse of a
private hospital who treated her also contracted the virus and
died after a week.
The CCHF virus is primarily found in animals. It may
infect a wide range of domestic and wild animals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Watch: CM Yogi Adityanath's first speech in UP Assembly house
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Reliance Jio closes in on 50 million paid users