No going back on one test plan: Sibal to IITs

Last Updated: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 12:57

Zeenews Bureau

New Delhi/Washington: Amid widespread criticism of his ministry’s proposal for one nationwide common entrance test, HRD Minister Kapil Sibal has clarified that the government has no intention to impinge on the autonomy of the IITs.

Of all, many of the Indian Institutes of Technologies (IITs) have vocally criticized the proposal of the Union Human Resources Development Ministry.

However, while clarifying Sibal has denied going back on the new proposal. Defending the decision, Sibal said this has been taken in accordance with the IIT Act passed by the Indian Parliament.

Sibal said this is a unanimous decisions of the IIT Council.

"There is no intent to impact on the IIT system autonomy....the exam that is being contemplated is to be set by the IIT itself," Sibal told reporters in Washington.

"We have no desire to anyway directly or indirectly.... To protect the autonomy of IIT," Sibal said and argued that the decision of the IIT Council is in tune with the international practices.

Sibal had in the last week of May announced that from 2013, aspiring candidates for IITs and other central institutes like NITs and IIITs will have to sit under a new format of common entrance test, which will also take the plus-two board results into consideration.

The minister had claimed that it was approved without dissent at a council consisting of the IITs, the IIITs and the NITs.

Senate of the IIT-Kanpur has rejected the Centre`s `one-nation one-test` proposal and decided to conduct its own entrance exam from next year.

Sibal said that on his return, he would study the decisions being taken by the IIT Kanpur.

(With PTI inputs)



First Published: Tuesday, June 12, 2012 - 12:44

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus