No headway in Jama Masjid firing probe

The firing outside Jama Masjid had created a security scare ahead of the Commonwealth Games.

New Delhi: Over a month has gone by, but the
Delhi Police is yet to make a headway in the suspected terror
strikes outside the historic Jama Masjid, which created a
security scare ahead of the Commonwealth Games.

The city police have announced Rs 10 lakh reward for
providing information about the two bikers who opened fire at
a Taiwanese media crew at Jama Masjid on September 19, but
investigators have not got any credible information.

A day ahead of the announcement of the reward, two
Kashmiris had approached the police claiming that they were
sent to paste inflammatory posters on Ayodhya in central Delhi
by some persons who were harassing their families.

Though police investigated whether those people who sent
the Kashmiris to Delhi were involved in the firing incident,
no breakthrough was made in this direction.

Investigators have questioned over 50 people in
connection with the strikes but "no concrete" headway has been
made in the probe while several teams are in Uttar Pradesh and
Mumbai to find some links in the case, a senior police
official said.

Police initially attributed the firing on Taiwanese
media crew and a car catching fire after a "crudely circuited
and poorly assembled" device went off within two hours after
the first incident to "disgruntled youths and local criminal
gangs" ruling out involvement of any organised terror outfit.

The assertion came despite outlawed Indian Mujahideen
claimed responsibility for the strikes and warned of more
attacks ahead of the Games in an email send to several media

However, the next day Delhi Police did a somersault
saying they cannot rule out a terror angle and even Police
Commissioner YS Dadwal exclaimed "who said that" when asked
about the investigator`s stand the previous day.

Even police had on September 19 maintained that there
were no traces of any explosives in the device which they
recovered from the car when already a case under the
Explosives Act was registered.

However, later it came to light that ammonium nitrate
was used in the device which had two timers -- 11:30 am and 12
noon -- set for explosion. No RDX or detonators were
recovered, police said.

The only headway it could make was tracking the IM email
to Borivalli in Mumbai suburbs. The email was sent using a
Tata mobile and it had a SIM purchased by an unidentified
youth in the name of a woman.

Maharashtra Anti-Terror Squad prepared a sketch and even
went to two addresses provided by central intelligence
agencies as the youth had purchased two SIM cards.

Investigators suspect that a laptop might have been used
to attach a PDF file in the email sent by Indian Mujahideen
claiming responsibility for the attack and it was located to a
server in Norway. The SIM card was put in a GPS activated
mobile phone.