No headway in probe into Delhi radiation leak: Police
New Delhi: The Delhi Police on Tuesday remained clueless
about the origin of radioactive Cobalt-60 recovered from a
scrap shop in west Delhi last week, even as six persons who
were exposed to radiation remained in hospital, two of them in
Investigators are yet to receive any report from the Department of Atomic Energy regarding Cobalt-60 recovered from
Mayapuri scrap market.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (West) Sharad Aggarwal said
they were yet to make any headway in the probe as
investigators could not speak to Deepak Jain, who is in a
critical condition in Apollo Hospital after being exposed to
"Jain is in isolation ward. We have not yet spoken to
him. Only he can tell us where he got the material from," he
Asked about reports putting the origin of the radioactive
material to foreign countries, he said it was speculation and
they have not received any report from experts.
AERB experts, along with Department of Atomic Energy
scientists, have safely removed eight bunches of metal scraps
containing sources of Cobalt-60 radioactive isotope from the
West Delhi shop and transported the material to the Narora
Atomic Power Station in Uttar Pradesh.
Jain suffered severe burns and is battling for life at
the Apollo Hospital while five others -- Gaurav, Rajendra
Prasad, Ramjee Yadav, Ram Kalap and Himanshu Jain -- have been
admitted to AIIMS.
One of the five patients admitted to AIIMS is in a
critical condition and is undergoing blood and platelet
transfusion, doctors said.
All the five patients have been kept at an isolated
sterile wing of Medical Ward as they are at a high risk of
infection due to sudden drop in immunity.
They are under close monitoring by a team of experts from
the Departments of Medicine, Medical Oncology, Radiological
Oncology and Hematology under the overall coordination of Dr A
All patients have shown evidence of bone marrow
suppression and have been given Granulocyte Colony Stimulating
Factor (GCSF) to boost their white blood cell counts. They are
also being administered antibiotics for control of infection,
One patient Rajender continues to have severe low WBC
and platelet counts. He has been transfused six units of
platelet transfusion till date, the doctors said.
The level of probable radiation exposure to individual
patients is being assessed through biological dosimetery by
the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC) for which blood
samples have already been collected.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins