No helicopter in offensive against Naxals: Chidambaram
Srinagar: Even as the government prepares for
a major offensive against the Naxals, Home Minister P
Chidambaram on Wednesday made it clear that helicopters will not be
used for operations against the Maoists.
"The helicopters will be primarily used for evacuation and
transportation of security forces. They will not be used for
any offensive action," he told reporters here.
Asked about Defence Minister A K Antony`s statement that
Indian Air Force helicopters would be given permission to open
fire in self-defence, Chidambaram said he did not see any
contradiction of policies between the Home and the Defence
"If the Defence Minister has said that the IAF will fire
in self defence, then that is the policy," he said.
Last week, Antony had said that the IAF would be given
permission to open fire in self-defence during anti-Naxal
operations after carefully preparing procedures and
The Defence Minister had, however, said there was no
proposal to engage the IAF in a combat role in the operations.
The Cabinet Committee of Security (CCS) on Thursday had
approved the Government`s new plan to counter Maoists under
which the affected states will have an effective coordinated
mechanism with police taking a lead role.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- LIVE: Yakub Memon buried in Mumbai; Rajnath says he got chance to express views in all forums
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report