No hopes from Pakistan: Capt Saurabh Kalia’s father
Palampur : The father of the Indian soldier tortured and mutilated in the Kargil conflict has no hopes from the not so sympathetic Pakistan.
"We pin our hopes only on the Supreme Court rather than on Pakistan," NK Kalia, 64, told IANS here Sunday.
Kalia`s comments came after visiting Pakistani Interior Minister Rehman Malik said it was not clear if a bullet or the weather had led to the death of Capt Saurabh Kalia.
The young Kalia`s mutilated body was handed over to Indian authorities by Pakistani soldiers during the 1999 Kargil conflict.
Malik later said he would have the matter investigated in Pakistan.
"His remark (on looking into the matter) is just a political gimmick," said father Kalia, who retired as a senior scientist from the Council of Scientific and Industrial Research and lives here.
"If he (Malik) is a man of words, we expect he will order a probe soon after reaching back and bring to justice the perpetrators of the heinous crime," Kalia added.
Expressing surprise over Malik`s remark that India had never taken up the issue with his government, Kalia said: "It`s a totally false assertion.
"I have gathered information through Right to Information (RTI) Act that the (Indian) government conveyed its anguish and anger to the foreign minister of Pakistan during his visit to Delhi June 12, 1999, but Malik`s feigning ignorance is shocking."
He said the Indian foreign ministry handed an aide-memoire to Pakistan three days later.
"I don`t think Pakistan will ever try the accused. For this we (India) have to build pressure on Pakistan through diplomatic channels, otherwise we do not hope that justice will be done," he said.
The aggrieved father said no Pakistani official had ever tried to contact him since the incident occurred.
"Pakistani functionaries say something and do something else. They also more influenced by internal politics rather than the plight of a father losing his son who did not even live long enough to receive his first pay packet," an emotional Kalia added.
Kalia has approached the Supreme Court with a plea that the government should refer the case to the International Court of Justice (ICJ).
Supreme Court judges RM Lodha and Anil R Dave Friday gave the central government 10 weeks to respond.
Capt. Kalia was posted on the icy heights of Kargil in Jammu and Kashmir after he got commissioned into the 4 Jat regiment.
In May 1999, he along with five soldiers -- Arjun Ram, Bhanwar Lal Bagaria, Bhika Ram, Moola Ram and Naresh Singh -- was on a patrol of the Bajrang Post in Kaksar sector in Indian territory when they were seized by Pakistani troops masquerading as the mujahideen.
They were tortured for weeks before being killed. Their mutilated bodies were handed over to India June 9, 1999.
The autopsy report of the captain and the other soldiers revealed extreme brutality.
There were marks of burns with cigarettes, the ear drums had been pierced with hot rods, and limbs and private organs chopped off, and then the soldiers were shot dead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India