No impediment in PM deciding on review petiton before CRA: SC
New Delhi: Holding that agiations do not not serve any purpose, The Supreme Court on monday said its order directing Karnataka to supply 9,000 cusecs of water to Tamil Nadu will not be an impediment in the Prime Minister deciding on the review petition filed before the Cauvery River Authority.
A bench of justices D K Jain and Madan B Lokur ticked off Karnataka saying that various agitations on the issue would not serve the purpose as sometimes it may be counter- productive.
"All these agitations don`t serve any purpose. Sometimes they may spoil a good case," the bench told Karnataka in an oblique reference to the on-going agitations in the state over release of water to Tamil Nadu.
The bench was dealing with an application moved by Karnataka seeking stay on the apex court`s September 28 order directing release of 9,000 cusecs of Cauvery water to Tamil Nadu.
Senior counsel Fali Nariman, appearing for Karnataka, sought deferment of the hearing of the application till October 28.
He expressed apprehension that the CRA may be reluctant to take any decision on the review petition filed by Karnataka before it in view of the injunction passed by the apex court on September 28.
Accordingly the bench, in its order, said, "We clarify that our September 28, 2012 order shall not in any way be an impediment in the chairperson (Prime Minister) taking a decision on the review petition before it (CRA)."
Nariman told the bench, "We will not be able to release anything more. It is physically impossible to release. There is already a surplus of 13,000 cusecs." However, he did not elaborate.
The CRA meeting on September 19 had failed to produce a solution as both Karnataka and Tamil Nadu had rejected the Prime Minister`s award of 9,000 cusecs of water to save the standing crops in the delta region.
Tamil Nadu subsequently moved the apex court for a directive to Karnataka.
The CRA, headed by the Prime Minister, comprises chief ministers of Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Puducherry and Kerala.
In its application, Tamil Nadu had said during the current irrigation year 2012-2013, though the south west monsoon is not vigorous in the Cauvery catchment of Karnataka, the state of Karnataka has received 21.9 TMCft of inflow in its four major reservoirs up to July 20.
"But it has not shared the water with Tamil Nadu. Instead it started to build the storages in its 4 major reservoirs and letting water in the canals of Krishna Raja Sagar for irrigation with the result that the state of Tamil Nadu has been deprived of its due share of water as per the interim order of the Cauvery Water Disputes Tribunal," the application said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow