`No increase in employment days under NREGA`
New Delhi: The government on Tuesday ruled out
raising the number of days of assured work under the rural
employment guarantee scheme as national average was lower than
the promised 100 days.
Minister of State for Rural Development Pradeep Jain told
the Rajya Sabha that less than one crore people in rural areas
had availed of 100 days of employment and the national average
was 52 days.
"When demand is not touching 100 days, it will not be
logical to increase the number of days," he said during
the Question Hour.
The objective of Mahatma Gandhi NREGA is to enhance
livelihood security of the rural households by providing at
least 100 days of guaranteed wage employment in a year to
every household on demand for doing unskilled manual work, he
Various studies conducted in Madhya Pradesh, Bihar, Tamil
Nadu, Orissa, Bihar and Kerala show that there has been a
check on migration of labourers after Mahatma Gandhi NREGA
came into force, he said.
The Central government provides money for giving 100 days of
employment to rural unemployed while the implementation was
with the state government, he said adding, a minimum Rs 100 per
day wage has been fixed under the programme and if state
governments feel they can increase it.
Rural Development Minister C P Joshi said after poor are
issued UID cards, their right to get 100 days of employment
will be protected even if they migrate.
Jain said 2.10 crore households were provided employment
under Mahatma Gandhi NREGA during 2006-07, 3.39 crore in
2007-08, 4.51 crore during 2008-09 and 5.06 crore during
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday