No increased threat to Amarnath yatra: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah on Thursday said there was no increased threat perception to this year`s Amarnath yatra compared to previous years and fears of attack as reported in the media were "gross exaggeration".
"While we will take all the regular precautions with a multi layer security grid, `yatra attack feared` headlines are a gross exaggeration," Omar wrote on the microblogging site twitter.
The Chief Minister`s remark comes in the wake of several high ranking officials, including Union Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde issuing statements about the Amarnath yatra being on militant radar in 2013.
Referring to the Unified Headquarters meeting here chaired by him yesterday, Omar said that the security officials told him that the threat perception to the annual pilgrimage has not increased in 2013.
"In fact, I asked a pointed question about whether the threats this year were higher than the previous years and the answer was a categorical no," the chief minister said.
With less than 10 days left for the start of annual Amarnath Yatra, the Centre and the Jammu and Kashmir government yesterday said there is a terror threat to the nearly two-month-long pilgrimage and that additional security forces are being deployed to provide safety.
"There is terror threat to Amarnath yatra," Shinde said.
Shinde said the government was taking precautions and sending additional forces to ensure safety and security of all pilgrims visiting the 13,500 feet high Himalayan cave shrine in south Kashmir.
Shinde`s assessment came even as the Jammu and Kashmir government declared the entire pilgrimage route in the state as "highly prone" to terrorist attacks and directed security forces to augment their vigil.
The Army on Monday said it has received inputs that terrorists might try to disrupt the yatra.
The security arrangements for the yatra also came up for a detailed review at the Unified Headquarters meeting chaired by Chief Minister Omar Abdullah in Srinagar.
In 2012, an estimated 6.2 lakh pilgrims had a glimpse of the ice stalagmite structure inside the cave which devotees believe symbolises the mythological powers of Lord Shiva.
"Considering the security scenario, topography of the yatra area, high potential of terrorist attacks on the yatris to create law and order situation throughout the state, sensitive nature of the yatra, and the high publicity the yatra generates, the entire yatra area is highly prone to terrorist attacks," the J-K Home Department said in a circular issued to all agencies concerned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA