No interference in CBI`s report on Coal scam: Cong
New Delhi: Congress on Saturday rejected the charge of interference in the preparation of CBI report in the coal scam for the Supreme Court and ruled out resignation of Law Minister Ashwani Kumar in this regard.
"There is no question of resignation of Law Minister Ashwani Kumar. Supreme Court has already asked CBI to file an affidavit in this regard. CBI will file its affidavit and truth will come out".
"The matter is being investigated under the supervision of the Supreme Court. BJP should wait and not try to misguide the country and not try to create obstacles in the way of investigations", party spokesman Rashid Alvi said.
His reaction came close on the heels of BJP leader Arun Jaitley`s demand for constitution of a special investigation team in the wake of reports of alleged interference in the preparation of CBI report in the coal scam.
The Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha also accused the UPA of being a "rogue government" that will not allow CBI to function independently.
On the media report that the CBI probe status report had been "vetted" by the Law Minister and the Prime Minister`s Office, he said, "This should be done at the level of the Minister and the officials of the PMO itself raises serious questions."
"CBI cannot find out the truth and even if some honest officer in the CBI tries to find out the truth, the UPA is a rogue government which will not allow it to operate independently," Jaitley said.
His Lok Sabha counterpart, Sushma Swaraj, criticised the government for "vetting" of the CBI report and said it is part of "an attempt to save Prime Minister Manmohan Singh".
Making light of the opposition charges, Alvi said he was not aware of the CBI officers meeting the Minister.
"Officers sometimes meet the Ministers, but it is not necessary that Ministers put pressure on them", he said.
"BJP is in the habit of criticising government unnecessarily. If Government orders a CBI inquiry, they demand a JPC. If government constitutes a JPC, then they create problems for the JPC," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried