No interference in resolving Bhopal issue: US
New Delhi: US Deputy National Security Advisor Mike Froman Thursday night denied making any link between the Bhopal gas leak issue and India`s request for loan help from
the World Bank in an e-main communication with Deputy Chairman Planning Commission Montek Singh Ahluwalia.
"With regard to recent reports about my private correspondence with Ahluwalia, I want to make clear that I was not making any link between what are two separate and distinct
issues nor issuing a threat of any sort any assertion to the contrary is absolutely wrong, both in intent and in fact," Froman said in a statement released by the US Embassy here.
In an e-mail to Ahluwalia, Froman had written "We are hearing a lot of noise about the Dow Chemical issues. I am not familiar with all the details but I think we want to avoid
development which put a chilling effect on our investment relationship."
His remarks came in response to Ahluwalia`s e-mail in which he sought US help in ensuring that India gets accommodation by continuing to get concessional aid from the
World Bank`s soft-lending arm IDA.
When asked about this e-mail exchange, Ahluwalia said he was not involved in any discussions with the US on issues that are sub judice--a reference to the Bhopal case.
"I don`t interpret from Froman`s -e-mail that there I any link between two (Dow Chemicals and World Bank)."
On the liability of Dow, Home Minister Chidambaram had said recently in Rajya Sabha that there are three players -- Union Carbide, Dow and Eveready.
Once the Madhya Pradesh High Court fixes liability, "we will certainly hold that company or those companies liable for remediation and whatever we had done by way of remediation before the liabilities are crystallised we will ask for restitution. We are not allowing anyone to go scot-free," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February