No interference in resolving Bhopal issue: US
New Delhi: US Deputy National Security Advisor Mike Froman Thursday night denied making any link between the Bhopal gas leak issue and India`s request for loan help from
the World Bank in an e-main communication with Deputy Chairman Planning Commission Montek Singh Ahluwalia.
"With regard to recent reports about my private correspondence with Ahluwalia, I want to make clear that I was not making any link between what are two separate and distinct
issues nor issuing a threat of any sort any assertion to the contrary is absolutely wrong, both in intent and in fact," Froman said in a statement released by the US Embassy here.
In an e-mail to Ahluwalia, Froman had written "We are hearing a lot of noise about the Dow Chemical issues. I am not familiar with all the details but I think we want to avoid
development which put a chilling effect on our investment relationship."
His remarks came in response to Ahluwalia`s e-mail in which he sought US help in ensuring that India gets accommodation by continuing to get concessional aid from the
World Bank`s soft-lending arm IDA.
When asked about this e-mail exchange, Ahluwalia said he was not involved in any discussions with the US on issues that are sub judice--a reference to the Bhopal case.
"I don`t interpret from Froman`s -e-mail that there I any link between two (Dow Chemicals and World Bank)."
On the liability of Dow, Home Minister Chidambaram had said recently in Rajya Sabha that there are three players -- Union Carbide, Dow and Eveready.
Once the Madhya Pradesh High Court fixes liability, "we will certainly hold that company or those companies liable for remediation and whatever we had done by way of remediation before the liabilities are crystallised we will ask for restitution. We are not allowing anyone to go scot-free," he had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional