No law, no further movement in setting up NCTC: Home Minister
New Delhi: The much talked-about NCTC may be a non-starter but the government has rejected the demand of non-Congress Chief Ministers for a law to set up the anti-terror body.
Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said his Ministry was not exploring the option of bringing a bill in Parliament for the purpose.
"No, we have no such proposal," Shinde told PTI when asked about the possibility of bringing a law for setting up National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC).
Asked whether the government was planning to issue an executive order for NCTC, the Home Minister said, "We are not doing anything now. We brought a proposal before the Chief Ministers. But some of them opposed it. So, there is no further movement now".
Those who are opposing a watered-down proposal for NCTC include Chief Ministers Mamata Banerjee (West Bengal), Nitish Kumar (Bihar), Jayalalithaa (Tamil Nadu), Narendra Modi (Gujarat), Raman Singh (Chhattisgarh), Shivraj Singh Chouhan (Madhya Pradesh) and Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal.
Even Congress Chief Ministers Prithviraj Chavan (Maharashtra), Siddaramaiah (Karnataka) and Tarun Gogoi (Assam) have expressed reservations to the revised proposal of NCTC.
Holding that the revised draft order on NCTC suffers from several "serious flaws" and "arbitrary" provisions, the Bihar Chief Minister had asked the Centre to seek Parliament`s nod through a wider debate for creating the anti-terror hub.
Sources said that in his concluding remarks at Wednesday`s Chief Ministers` conference on internal security, the Home Minister had said a decision on setting up NCTC will be taken only after a full consensus.
A political consensus even on a watered-down proposal for NCTC is unlikely any time soon and the anti-terror hub proposal seems to have gone into deep freeze.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch