No lessons learnt from past mistakes: Prez on communal riots
New Delhi: Expressing concern over the recent incidents of communal clashes, President Pranab Mukherjee today said the country has not learnt lessons from the history and same "tragic mistakes" are being repeated.
"Why is it that we do not learn the lessons from our own history but keep repeating the same tragic mistakes?" he said after presenting the national communal harmony awards.
Mukherjee said Constitution lays down the fundamental duty of every citizen to promote harmony and spirit of common brotherhood among all the people transcending religious, linguistic and regional or sectional diversities.
"However, despite this sacred mandate, despite the Directive Principles of State Policy and despite the safeguards that our laws provide, despite all the measures taken by our administrative machinery, why is it that communalism does not seem to go away from our society?
The President said none of country`s institutions preaches hatred, no religion preaches discord and on the contrary, they prescribe that it is the moral duty of every individual and of society as a whole, to spread peace and amity.
"What can we do to uphold and implement this? How can we be more vigilant against negative forces and successfully thwart their nefarious designs?" he asked.
Mukherjee said the strength and resilience of Indian society lies in its plurality and diversity and this unique quality has not been imported from anywhere nor has it come into our society by accident-- rather it has been consciously nurtured and nourished by the tolerance and wisdom of the Indian consciousness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...