No let up in biting cold in North, temp remains below normal
New Delhi: There was no let up in bitter cold wave sweeping North India as mercury remained below normal in most parts of the region while two succumbed to freezing weather in Haryana`s Ambala city.
Dense fog crippled normal life in several parts of the region, affecting air, rail and road traffic.
Low visibility due to fog disrupted rail traffic with 16 trains coming to Delhi from Bihar, Bengal, Assam, Odisha and other states running behind schedule by several hours.
Delhiites woke up to a foggy morning with the minimum temperature settling at 6.4 degrees Celsius, one notch below normal.
The maximum temperature in the city was recorded at 18.5 degrees Celsius, two notches below normal.
In Kashmir Valley, the minimum temperature settled several degrees below freezing point.
Srinagar, the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir, recorded a minimum temperature of minus 1.6 degrees Celsius, same as the previous night.
The minimum temperature in Pahalgam, in south Kashmir, settled at minus 7.7 degrees Celsius as compared to minus 7.8 degrees Celsius the previous night.
The MeT Department has said the weather would remain mainly dry in the Valley over the next few days and there would be a further dip in the mercury.
Chilly winds swept the hills of Himachal Pradesh, where all natural sources of water like lakes, springs and tributaries of major rivers were frozen for the past five weeks drastically reducing the discharge of water in snowfed Sutlej, Beas and Ravi rivers, causing sharp fall in hydropower generation.
Keylong and Kalpa in twin tribal districts of Lahaul and Spiti and Kinnaur recorded minimum temperatures at minus 9.7 degree and minus 3.6 degree, while key tourist resort of Manali ?and Bhuntar recorded a low of minus 18 degree and minus 0.2 degree C followed by Sundernagar 0.4 degree, Chamba 0.7 degree, Una 1.3 degree, Solan 2.0 degree, Nahan 3.8 degree, Shimla 4.1 degree.
The high altitude tribal areas groaned under freezing cold wave conditions with minimum temperature staying between minus 13 and minus 24 degree C.
The day temperatures dropped by one to two degree across the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22