No money given to Kejriwal for political activities: Tata Trust
New Delhi: The Tata Social Welfare Trust (TSWT) today said it did not donate any money for political activities to the Arvind Kejriwal founded NGO -- Public Cause Research Foundation.
It, however, said TSWT had in 2008 agreed to grant Rs 1.25 crore for a five-year period to institute National RTI Awards by the NGO but turned down request for using some of the money for other purposes.
TWST said it had received recommendation from Infosys co-founder NR Narayana Murthy for assisting Kejriwal to raise awareness about the Right to Information Act (RTI) in October 2008, adding it "agreed to release Rs 25 lakh per year from 2009, for a period of 5 years, to help the foundation institute the (National RTI) awards".
It further said Rs 25 lakh each was released to the foundation in 2009 and 2010. TSWT also released Rs 25 lakh in 2011.
"After receiving the grant for 2011, the foundation wrote to TSWT that it would not be able to present RTI Awards for 2011, and asked whether the grant instead could be used for the movement on the Jan Lokpal Bill. TSWT informed the foundation that since the grant was meant for RTI Awards, it could not be used for any other purpose," it said.
The foundation, accordingly, returned the grant of Rs 25 lakh for the year 2011 to TSWT. There have been no further grants from TSWT to the foundation, the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- (manresult.nic.in) Manipur HSLC Results 2016 declared; Manipur HSLC exam result 2016, Manipur Board Class 10 result
- US presidential Donald Trump takes poll lead over Hillary Clinton
- Fan parks across eight cities to showcase IPL play-offs
- Sensex logs first rise in five sessions on earnings lift
- Goa SSC (Class 10) Examination Results 2016 to be declared on May 25: (goaresults.nic.in) GBSHSE 10th board results, Goa Board (GBSHSE) SSC (Class 10) Examination Results 2016