No move to enable NRIs vote from outside country
New Delhi: Union Minister Vayalar Ravi on Thursday ruled out any move to make provisions for Indians living abroad to vote in elections from outside the country.
"As it is today even I can not vote by postal ballot. That is not the system today. If I am in Delhi, I can`t vote in Kerala elections from here. I will to go to the booth where my name is registered to vote. I am afraid it is not possible," the Overseas Indian Affairs Minister told a gathering of NRIs at Pravasi Bhartiya Divas.
He also added that it is for Election Commission to decide as it is the constitutional authority for election-related affairs.
As far as enrolment of names of overseas Indians in electoral rolls is concerned that is being taken up, he sai.
Overseas Indians holding an Indian passport have long been demanding that they be given rights to vote in elections, saying it is their right and also desirable that they have a say in the political process here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- After Mumbai Indians, Krunal and Hardik Pandya to play for new team
- Procedural delay and not failure, says MEA on India's NSG membership issue
- Keith Urban celebrates 10th anniversary with Nicole Kidman
- An award must go to Fawad Khan for his hilarious expression while hugging Deepika Padukone!
- Greg Chappell strikes! Former coach claims team took short-cuts, key players selfish