No move to enable NRIs vote from outside country
New Delhi: Union Minister Vayalar Ravi on Thursday ruled out any move to make provisions for Indians living abroad to vote in elections from outside the country.
"As it is today even I can not vote by postal ballot. That is not the system today. If I am in Delhi, I can`t vote in Kerala elections from here. I will to go to the booth where my name is registered to vote. I am afraid it is not possible," the Overseas Indian Affairs Minister told a gathering of NRIs at Pravasi Bhartiya Divas.
He also added that it is for Election Commission to decide as it is the constitutional authority for election-related affairs.
As far as enrolment of names of overseas Indians in electoral rolls is concerned that is being taken up, he sai.
Overseas Indians holding an Indian passport have long been demanding that they be given rights to vote in elections, saying it is their right and also desirable that they have a say in the political process here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed