No move to enable NRIs vote from outside country
New Delhi: Union Minister Vayalar Ravi on Thursday ruled out any move to make provisions for Indians living abroad to vote in elections from outside the country.
"As it is today even I can not vote by postal ballot. That is not the system today. If I am in Delhi, I can`t vote in Kerala elections from here. I will to go to the booth where my name is registered to vote. I am afraid it is not possible," the Overseas Indian Affairs Minister told a gathering of NRIs at Pravasi Bhartiya Divas.
He also added that it is for Election Commission to decide as it is the constitutional authority for election-related affairs.
As far as enrolment of names of overseas Indians in electoral rolls is concerned that is being taken up, he sai.
Overseas Indians holding an Indian passport have long been demanding that they be given rights to vote in elections, saying it is their right and also desirable that they have a say in the political process here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- DNA: Growing Russia-China ties a concern for India
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Vyapam scam: Congress accuses MP CM of 'misleading' people, demands his resignation
- Vyapam scam: After over 45 deaths, can Shivraj Singh Chouhan resist CBI probe?