No move to enable NRIs vote from outside country
New Delhi: Union Minister Vayalar Ravi on Thursday ruled out any move to make provisions for Indians living abroad to vote in elections from outside the country.
"As it is today even I can not vote by postal ballot. That is not the system today. If I am in Delhi, I can`t vote in Kerala elections from here. I will to go to the booth where my name is registered to vote. I am afraid it is not possible," the Overseas Indian Affairs Minister told a gathering of NRIs at Pravasi Bhartiya Divas.
He also added that it is for Election Commission to decide as it is the constitutional authority for election-related affairs.
As far as enrolment of names of overseas Indians in electoral rolls is concerned that is being taken up, he sai.
Overseas Indians holding an Indian passport have long been demanding that they be given rights to vote in elections, saying it is their right and also desirable that they have a say in the political process here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!