No need for Anna to go on fast: Farooq Abdullah
Jammu: Union Minister Farooq Abdullah on Saturday said there was no need for Anna Hazare to go on fast to press for the passage of the Lokpal Bill as the legislation was likely to be passed in the ongoing session of Parliment next month.
"There is no need (for Anna to go on fast once again). The government is keen on passing the legislation as early as possible," the NC chief told reporters on the sidelines of a function.
"I fully hope it (Lokpal Bill) will be passed in the resumed Budget session of Parliament begining April 24," he said.
The New and Renewable Energy Minister, however, added "the establishment of Lokayuktas should be left to the states only."
"As far as the main issue (passage of the Lokpal Bill) is concerned, all political parties will sit and decide on it," he said.
Anti-graft campaigner Hazare will sit on a day-long fast at Jantar Mantar tomorrow. On the alleged Jammu and Kashmir Cricket Association (JKCA) scam, Abdullah said "this is being inquired into".
At the function, the NC chief released a poetry book of Darakhshan Andrabi, President of Socialist Democratic Party (SDP). The book contains poems written during the last 15 years of turmoil in the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day