No need to ground MiG 29K jet, Russia tells India
New Delhi: Russia has informed India that the
crash of a MiG 29K fighter jet, which was manufactured for the
Indian Navy, was due to pilot error and there was no need for
it to ground its such planes here.
India had sought clarifications from Russia after a
MiG-29KUB twin-seater fighter, which was part of the Admiral
Gorshkov aircraft carrier deal, crashed in south Russian
Astrakhan region yesterday killing its two-member crew.
"The Russians have told us that the crashed aircraft went
through an extreme manoeuvre due to pilot error which resulted
in the accident and there was no need for us to ground our
aircraft," a senior Naval officer told PTI here.
He said the aircraft was coming back to its base after
carrying out weapon trials when the crash took place.
India had placed orders for 16 MiG 29Ks from Russia under
a deal worth over USD 900 million in 2004 and some of these
planes have already been inducted into service at Goa.
India had said if there was a technical reason behind the
crash, it would also consider grounding its fleet of the
The Russian Defence Ministry had grounded the entire
MiG-29K fleet on June 23 after the incident.
India is the only customer of the Russian-built MiG-29K,
45 of which will be inducted into service in next few years at
Navy`s INS Hansa air base and will be operated from the
Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi