No need to set up green regulator: Centre tells SC
New Delhi: The Centre has informed Supreme Court that there is no need for setting up of a green regulator to oversee matters related to environmental clearances and pleaded for modification of its order for setting up such a body.
In an application filed in the apex court, the Centre however said that an Authority to monitor and facilitate implementation of the National Forest Policy, 1988 will be set up.
It said that typically a regulator is required to provide a level playing field to various players in a given sector and to protect interests of the common man which is already being done by the Centre through its various agencies.
"In case of grant of approvals under the Forest Conservation Act and Environment Protection Act, the question of providing a level playing field for sectoral players has never been raised. In fact, such a level playing field already exists since the procedure and regulations prescribed are uniformly applicable to all the project proponents.
"Adequate measures to protect interests of common man are already in place in the present Regulatory mechanism for grant of approval under the Acts," the affidavit said.
The Centre pleaded before the court to modify its order passed on July 6, 2011 directing the government to "appoint a National Regulator for appraising projects, enforcing environmental conditions for approvals and to impose penalties on polluters."
The Supreme Court`s direction had came while deciding the issue of environment clearance given by the Environment Ministry to French cement firm Lafarge to mine in the forests of Meghalaya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof