No. of phones, e-mails tapped doubled in July
New Delhi: The number of phones and e-mail accounts being tapped in the country nearly doubled during the month of July, with central security agencies making fresh requests for monitoring 3,420 phone lines and 465 e-mail accounts.
A total of 4,350 phone lines and 501 e-mail addresses were under surveillance and fresh orders were received from the Home Secretary recently for monitoring of an additional 3,420 telephones and 465 e-mails during July, says an internal government document.
In addition, about 465 orders were passed for tapping overseas phones, besides 281 orders under Rule 419A of the Indian Telegraph Act, which permits phone tapping for a limited period of time in case of a public emergency by various intelligence and probe agencies, including the
Intelligence Bureau, CBI and National Investigation Agency (NIA).
Clearance for snooping into these phones and e-mails was given by a high-level committee headed by the Cabinet Secretary. At a meeting held on September 05, the committee, however, sought more details on some of the orders passed and also asked the Home Secretary to make sure that tapping does not extend beyond the stipulated 180 days.
The Supreme Court had ordered the government to set up this high-level committee to review the phone tapping orders passed by the Home Secretary.
While the central and the state government agencies have the right to tap phones under Section 5 of Indian Telegraph Act, 1885, recent events of phone tapping have raised issues of privacy.
The government has, therefore, finalised new laws with regard to tapping phone calls and intercepting e-mails in bid to make the system more robust. This includes making it mandatory for law enforcing agencies to destroy all recordings of individual conversations that are not relevant to the investigation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'