No passing of seminal bills amidst din: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram today ruled out passage of "seminal bills" like those on banking and pension amid din in Parliament but said "tacit understanding" helped passage of some other bills, including three in Lok Sabha, on Monday.
Responding to questions whether the tacit understanding has been reached between the ruling alliance and the BJP-led Opposition for it, Chidambaram said "there is tacit understanding among some individual members" of various parties that these bills are important and should be passed even in the din.
"But we are very clear that these seminal bills are not to be passed in the din. We will not pass these bills in the bustle," he said when asked whether government will also get bills like those on pension reform and on banking passed in a similar manner.
He admitted this practice is "not good" but added "some bills have to be passed. These are the bills on which there is broad consensus. There is a tacit understanding that these bills have to be passed. Even in the din, there is some corner in the hearts of all members that these bills should be passed.
To a question whether some key reform bills would have been passed in the session, he said "there was a good chance as I had accepted all recommendations of the Standing Committee."
Asked why the Opposition is not accepting the arguments of the government on the issue of coal block allocations and whether they do not understand these, Chidambaram said "I am absolutely sure they understand all this...If even after understanding they are not listening, I cannot delve into the mind of the Opposition".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) TNBSE Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 declared