No passing of seminal bills amidst din: Chidambaram
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram today ruled out passage of "seminal bills" like those on banking and pension amid din in Parliament but said "tacit understanding" helped passage of some other bills, including three in Lok Sabha, on Monday.
Responding to questions whether the tacit understanding has been reached between the ruling alliance and the BJP-led Opposition for it, Chidambaram said "there is tacit understanding among some individual members" of various parties that these bills are important and should be passed even in the din.
"But we are very clear that these seminal bills are not to be passed in the din. We will not pass these bills in the bustle," he said when asked whether government will also get bills like those on pension reform and on banking passed in a similar manner.
He admitted this practice is "not good" but added "some bills have to be passed. These are the bills on which there is broad consensus. There is a tacit understanding that these bills have to be passed. Even in the din, there is some corner in the hearts of all members that these bills should be passed.
To a question whether some key reform bills would have been passed in the session, he said "there was a good chance as I had accepted all recommendations of the Standing Committee."
Asked why the Opposition is not accepting the arguments of the government on the issue of coal block allocations and whether they do not understand these, Chidambaram said "I am absolutely sure they understand all this...If even after understanding they are not listening, I cannot delve into the mind of the Opposition".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG
- Clinton tops 50% support from US voters in latest poll
- Bihar floods kill eight more; water recedes in UP but still in red
- Tired of frequent dandruff problem? Try these home remedies!
- Pakistan to host West Indies for pink ball Test in UAE