`No plan to stop training of SL military personnel`
New Delhi: Notwithstanding pressure from Tamil political parties, government has no immediate plan to stop training Sri Lankan military personnel in India but joint exercises are expected to be put on hold for the time-being.
Training of Sri Lankan defence personnel at different training establishments will continue as there is no plan to end the military cooperation programme with Sri Lanka, sources told PTI here.
More than 450 personnel from Sri Lankan armed forces are undergoing training at the defence ministry establishments in India including in Bangalore, Kannur and Belgaum.
However, a number of joint exercises between the two sides are likely to be put on hold for the time being, they said.
Tamil Nadu`s political parties, including Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK chief M Karunanidhi have been demanding that the training programme be scrapped immediately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Virat Kohli: Amid break-up rumors, cricketer spends time with most beautiful woman
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing