`No plan to stop training of SL military personnel`
New Delhi: Notwithstanding pressure from Tamil political parties, government has no immediate plan to stop training Sri Lankan military personnel in India but joint exercises are expected to be put on hold for the time-being.
Training of Sri Lankan defence personnel at different training establishments will continue as there is no plan to end the military cooperation programme with Sri Lanka, sources told PTI here.
More than 450 personnel from Sri Lankan armed forces are undergoing training at the defence ministry establishments in India including in Bangalore, Kannur and Belgaum.
However, a number of joint exercises between the two sides are likely to be put on hold for the time being, they said.
Tamil Nadu`s political parties, including Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK chief M Karunanidhi have been demanding that the training programme be scrapped immediately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS