`No plan to stop training of SL military personnel`
New Delhi: Notwithstanding pressure from Tamil political parties, government has no immediate plan to stop training Sri Lankan military personnel in India but joint exercises are expected to be put on hold for the time-being.
Training of Sri Lankan defence personnel at different training establishments will continue as there is no plan to end the military cooperation programme with Sri Lanka, sources told PTI here.
More than 450 personnel from Sri Lankan armed forces are undergoing training at the defence ministry establishments in India including in Bangalore, Kannur and Belgaum.
However, a number of joint exercises between the two sides are likely to be put on hold for the time being, they said.
Tamil Nadu`s political parties, including Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa and DMK chief M Karunanidhi have been demanding that the training programme be scrapped immediately.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand