No plans of joining politics: Priyanka Gandhi
New Delhi: Priyanka Gandhi, about whom there has been speculation that she will contest next Lok Sabha elections, says she has no plans of joining politics.
"I am not joining politics. I am looking after my mother`s constituency as I did from 1999 to 2004 without being in politics," she has said in an SMS to a television channel.
Gandhi, daughter of Sonia Gandhi, has also said that there was nothing new in her interacting with workers in Rae Bareli and Amethi, the constituencies represented by her mother and brother Rahul, in the Lok Sabha.
"I have been doing so since 1991. As there have been organisational issues lately, I will be travelling to Rae Bareli now and then to look into them,"she said.
This is the first public response of Priyanka over intense speculation in media about the possibilities of her contesting the 2014 general elections from Rae Bareli.
The trigger for the latest round of speculation was a number of meetings, Priyanka had with party workers from Amethi including a recent one at 10 Janpath, the official residence of the Congress president last month.
The Congress president returned last Monday from her visit abroad for medical check-up after which party sources said that her reports are "perfectly all right".
Priyanka Gandhi`s involvement in Rae Bareli has seen an increase in the recent months, which was being attributed to her mother not being well.
Congress had lost all the five assembly seats in Sonia Gandhi`s constituency in the recent Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections, which came as a shocker to the party. It won only two of the five assembly seats in Amethi from where Rahul Gandhi is an MP.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi