No political interference in CBI’s working: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Friday rejected former CBI director US Mishra`s allegation that he faced political pressure when he was investigating the disproportionate assets case against former Uttar Pradesh chief minister and BSP chief Mayawati.
"As far as CBI is concerned, it is an independent organisation that has been working within its domain and (there is) no political interference from our government," Minister of State for PMO V Narayanasamy said.
Law Minister Ashwani Kumar also ruled out any pressure on CBI director from the government.
"There is no such pressure," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla alleged that Mishra was working as the CBI director under NDA rule, so BJP should respond to his allegations.
Shukla also said the former bureaucrat was "unnecessarily creating controversy and it is not good".
"It should be found out that this particular officer was under whose regime. If I remember correctly, he was under Vajpayee regime. He was a CBI director. I think BJP should respond to this allegation," he said.
BJP, however, reiterated its charges that CBI was being "misused" by the government and the fresh allegations only buttress such views.
"We have been saying right from day one that CBI is being misused from time to time to harass political opponents to win over allies, and keep them under control. CBI has been converted into Congress Bureau of Investigation," senior BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu told reporters outside Parliament House.
"Our views have been further confirmed by the views of former CBI director," he said.
Responding to Congress` allegation that Mishra was a director during the NDA regime, Naidu said similar views was expressed by another former CBI director Joginder Singh.
Mishra had told a news channel yesterday that "when we investigate cases against prominent political leaders, there are some influences to keep the progress report pending or present in a certain way".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly