No political interference in CBI’s working: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Friday rejected former CBI director US Mishra`s allegation that he faced political pressure when he was investigating the disproportionate assets case against former Uttar Pradesh chief minister and BSP chief Mayawati.
"As far as CBI is concerned, it is an independent organisation that has been working within its domain and (there is) no political interference from our government," Minister of State for PMO V Narayanasamy said.
Law Minister Ashwani Kumar also ruled out any pressure on CBI director from the government.
"There is no such pressure," he told reporters outside Parliament House.
Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla alleged that Mishra was working as the CBI director under NDA rule, so BJP should respond to his allegations.
Shukla also said the former bureaucrat was "unnecessarily creating controversy and it is not good".
"It should be found out that this particular officer was under whose regime. If I remember correctly, he was under Vajpayee regime. He was a CBI director. I think BJP should respond to this allegation," he said.
BJP, however, reiterated its charges that CBI was being "misused" by the government and the fresh allegations only buttress such views.
"We have been saying right from day one that CBI is being misused from time to time to harass political opponents to win over allies, and keep them under control. CBI has been converted into Congress Bureau of Investigation," senior BJP leader Venkaiah Naidu told reporters outside Parliament House.
"Our views have been further confirmed by the views of former CBI director," he said.
Responding to Congress` allegation that Mishra was a director during the NDA regime, Naidu said similar views was expressed by another former CBI director Joginder Singh.
Mishra had told a news channel yesterday that "when we investigate cases against prominent political leaders, there are some influences to keep the progress report pending or present in a certain way".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony