No political message behind reshuffle, say experts
New Delhi: The much-awaited union Cabinet reshuffle Sunday was an "exercise in vain" and "failed to give a political message" to the people, feel experts.
This was the third cabinet rejig since the UPA II government came to power in 2009 and possibly the last one before the 2014 general elections.
Experts said the reshuffle was expected to give a facelift to the Congress, hit by allegations of corruption in the past one year.
But the list of 22 new inductions into the Manmohan Singh cabinet showed there were hardly leaders who could get votes for the party in the series of assembly elections and the general elections.
"It is an exercise in vain...The event did not match up the hype that was created about it," political commentator N Bhaskara Rao told IANS.
"The Congress party needed a facelift but I don`t think there is any political message in this reshuffle...It was mere administrative exercise," he said.
According to Sandeep Shastri of the International Academy of Creative Teaching in Bangalore, the reshuffle was "old wine in a new bottle with a new cork".
Shastri said the elevation of junior ministers Jyotiraditya Scindia and Sachin Pilot with independent charges of power and corporate affairs ministries was a "good change" but showed an "incremental approach" of the Congress.
"The Congress could have been bolder...It lost an opportunity," Shastri told IANS.
However, Nisar ul Haq, who teaches political science at Jamia Millia Islamia, said the reshuffle was aimed at rejuvenating both the Congress and the government.
"Giving the railways portfolio to Pawan Kumar Bansal and parliamentary affairs to Kamal Nath is a good step," Haq told IANS.
He said the induction of West Bengal MP Adhir Ranjan Chaudhary as junior railway minister was a clear indication to Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, who quit the UPA over economic reforms.
He said making Salman Khurshid the external affairs minister was also a good sign.
While appreciating the independent charge of information and broadcasting ministry to former Congress spokesman Manish Tewari, Rao said the move would not benefit the party with any votes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'