No political motive behind fuel subsidy cut to Bhutan: MEA
New Delhi: India on Monday asserted that fuel subsidy cut to Bhutan related to delivery mechanism and it had no "political or other intention" to do so while assuring that it will soon hold "intensive" discussion with the new government on the issue.
"We need to understand that the issue of subsidy relates to delivery mechanisms in India`s development partnership with Bhutan and it has no political or other implications or intentions. We will certainly engage with Bhutan on this and we have previously mentioned that the intention of India was not to adversely impact on the poor in Bhutan.....
"We look forward to engaging on this matter as soon as possible," spokesperson in the External Affairs Ministry said.
The remarks come a day after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, in his congratulatory message, assured Bhutan`s People`s Democratic Party leader Tshering Tobgay, who is set to be the country`s next PM, of India`s "unflinching" support and noted that he has already instructed officials to prepare for the discussions on Plan assistance. Fuel subsidy is part of this Plan.
"We look forward to working with you and your colleagues to further enhance our cooperation for the benefit of the people of both our countries. I have, therefore, already instructed officials of my government to prepare for the discussions on our Plan assistance to Bhutan," Singh had said.
"There are another eight days to any other candidates (who participated in the elections) to lodge any complaints or petitions against these results following which the government will be in place in Bhutan.
"And we expect to take the matter up because we have extremely close relationship and the Prime Minister has in fact invited the leader of majority party to visit India...We expect intensive consultations with Bhutan as soon as the government is in office," the spokesperson said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested