No pollution by detained oil tanker
New Delhi: An Indian team, which was rushed to Bandar Abbas port where an oil tanker has been detained by Iran for last nine days, has detected no pollution or oil leakage by the vessel, contrary to Iranian claims.
"Our officials including the surveyor from Indian Register of Shipping (IRS) have completed the inspection of the tanker and come up with a report that no pollution whatsoever or oil leakage was caused by it," a senior SCI official told PTI today.
Director General of Shipping has sent a team of officials, including a senior Shipping Corporation of India (SCI) official and a surveyor of IRS to Bandar Abbas port to inspect the vessel.
The IRS is an internationally recognised independent ship classification society, founded in India in 1975.
"Our officials are still in the process of convincing the Iranian authorities and we are hopeful of some solution and release of the vessel," the official said.
MT Desh Shanti, was detained by Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) on August 12 in Persian Gulf and taken to Bandar Abbas port while carrying crude from Basrah in Iraq.
The SCI official said ministries of External Affairs and Shipping were dealing with the issue.
The Iranian authorities had expressed environment concerns and alleged that the vessel was causing pollution, a charge which has been denied by Indian officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation