No pollution by detained oil tanker
New Delhi: An Indian team, which was rushed to Bandar Abbas port where an oil tanker has been detained by Iran for last nine days, has detected no pollution or oil leakage by the vessel, contrary to Iranian claims.
"Our officials including the surveyor from Indian Register of Shipping (IRS) have completed the inspection of the tanker and come up with a report that no pollution whatsoever or oil leakage was caused by it," a senior SCI official told PTI today.
Director General of Shipping has sent a team of officials, including a senior Shipping Corporation of India (SCI) official and a surveyor of IRS to Bandar Abbas port to inspect the vessel.
The IRS is an internationally recognised independent ship classification society, founded in India in 1975.
"Our officials are still in the process of convincing the Iranian authorities and we are hopeful of some solution and release of the vessel," the official said.
MT Desh Shanti, was detained by Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) on August 12 in Persian Gulf and taken to Bandar Abbas port while carrying crude from Basrah in Iraq.
The SCI official said ministries of External Affairs and Shipping were dealing with the issue.
The Iranian authorities had expressed environment concerns and alleged that the vessel was causing pollution, a charge which has been denied by Indian officials.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know