No pressure on cops probing Tejpal sexual assault case: Goa CM
Panaji: Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar on Saturday ruled out any political pressure in the investigation in the case of alleged sexual assault by Tehelka Editor Tarun Tejpal against a woman colleague.
"I am not monitoring the case. In fact, I was briefed about the case by the police after the filing of the first information report (FIR)," Parrikar said.
The Chief Minister said he has told police not to be bogged down by any pressure, however important the accused is.
He said that the direction of the probe into the case would be decided by the Investigating Officer.
"It is not the chief minister but the Investigating Officer who comes to an opinion," Parrikar added.
Parrikar said he is not taking any updates from the officers investigating the case.
A special team of Goa police has already left for Delhi to pursue the investigation. The team is likely to, among others, question Tehelka Managing Editor Shoma Choudhary in connection with the case.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended