No proceeding pending against Tri-Valley students
New Delhi: The Government on Friday said it was not aware of any legal proceeding pending against any Indian student affected by visa fraud in Tri-Valley University, California.
As per information available with the Government "no proceeding is pending against any student", HRD Minister Kapil Sibal said during Question Hour in Rajya Sabha.
In the last one year, visa frauds cases with Indian students have been reported in two US universities - Tri-Valley and University of Northern Virginia.
He said in case of Tri-Valley where more than 1,800 students were affected, the Government intervened through diplomatic and political channels to ensure their safety.
Sibal said the Government conveyed to its US counterpart that the students should be given adequate time and opportunity for transfer to other universities and, if they desire, return to India "honourably".
"Consequently, the US Department of State and the Department of Homeland Security took steps to ensure fair and appropriate treatment of Indian students," he said.
To a query by Ravi Shankar Prasad (BJP) regarding radio tagging of those students, Sibal said Minister of External Affairs SM Krishna had strongly conveyed to the US that it was not "acceptable to us".
While the Tri-Valley University has been shutdown, Sibal said the US authorities started action against University of Northern Virginia in July.
"Government has not received any report of victimisation of Indian students (in University of Northern Virginia)," he said. Around 2,000 Indian students are enrolled there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30