No proceeding pending against Tri-Valley students
New Delhi: The Government on Friday said it was not aware of any legal proceeding pending against any Indian student affected by visa fraud in Tri-Valley University, California.
As per information available with the Government "no proceeding is pending against any student", HRD Minister Kapil Sibal said during Question Hour in Rajya Sabha.
In the last one year, visa frauds cases with Indian students have been reported in two US universities - Tri-Valley and University of Northern Virginia.
He said in case of Tri-Valley where more than 1,800 students were affected, the Government intervened through diplomatic and political channels to ensure their safety.
Sibal said the Government conveyed to its US counterpart that the students should be given adequate time and opportunity for transfer to other universities and, if they desire, return to India "honourably".
"Consequently, the US Department of State and the Department of Homeland Security took steps to ensure fair and appropriate treatment of Indian students," he said.
To a query by Ravi Shankar Prasad (BJP) regarding radio tagging of those students, Sibal said Minister of External Affairs SM Krishna had strongly conveyed to the US that it was not "acceptable to us".
While the Tri-Valley University has been shutdown, Sibal said the US authorities started action against University of Northern Virginia in July.
"Government has not received any report of victimisation of Indian students (in University of Northern Virginia)," he said. Around 2,000 Indian students are enrolled there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?