‘No proof of any assurance to US on Anderson’
There are "no records to indicate" that External Affairs Ministry gave any assurance to the United States regarding immunity to Bhopal gas tragedy accused Warren Anderson from legal action.
New Delhi: There are "no records to indicate" that External Affairs Ministry gave any assurance to the United States regarding immunity to Bhopal gas tragedy accused Warren Anderson from legal action during his visit in 1984 after the worst industrial disaster killed over 15,000 people.
The External Affairs Ministry has said in an RTI reply
that it "has no records to indicate that any assurance was
provided to USA for Anderson`s visit to India".
The applicant had asked the Ministry whether any
assurance was given to United States Government for not
initiating any legal action during the visit of the then Union
Carbide chief to India in December 1984. He has also sought
all the documents along with file notings in this regard.
The Ministry has also said there is "no information" if
there was any meeting convened by the then External Affairs
Minister (the name was not given by the Ministry) regarding
issue of any kind of assurance given to any government
official from the United States.
It has also said that there is "no information" about
any official from the US embassy contacting the then External
Affairs Minister or Secretary regarding the visit of Anderson.
The reply was provided by the Ministry after the Central
Information Commission slapped a show-cause notice to it and
gave a deadline of November 30 to provide the answers.
"The Commission...directs the Public Information
Officer, Ministry of External Affairs to provide the information sought by the complainant by November 30, 2010.
"The complainant may also be allowed inspection of
relevant filed and be provided with the attested copies of
documents, including file notings, if required," Information
Commissioner Annapurna Dixit held in her order.
Anderson had reached Bhopal from the US nearly three
days after the gas tragedy struck the city on the intervening
night of December 2-3, 1984 killing over 15,000 people.
On his arrival, he was arrested by local police and
later granted bail. He left the country on December 7 and has
remained evasive since then.
He was allegedly allowed to use an aircraft of Madhya