No proposal for dedicated cyber surveillance agency: Govt
New Delhi: The government on Wednesday said there is no proposal to set up a dedicated cyber surveillance agency for monitoring "malicious content" on the web and social media networks.
"There is no proposal with the Government...The Information Technology (IT) Act, 2000 has adequate provisions to deal with such situations," Minister of State for Communications and IT Milind Deora in a written reply to Lok Sabha.
He was responding to a specific query on whether the government is proposing to monitor web and social media content which have implications of law and order etc. In the country.
The government has held several rounds of discussions with stakeholders, including the social media to address the issue of proper implementation of the provisions of the Act, he added.
Deora said all stakeholders would work together to "minimise the unintended consequences and evolve the processes through clarification and guidelines as necessary".
Further, he informed that there have been no requests from the Ministry of Home Affairs to authorise Intelligence Bureau to monitor the web and social media services for malicious content.
Responding to another query, Deora said there has been an increase in incidents involving revealing of personal information such as passwords and credit card details through phishing attacks.
"According to Reserve Bank of India and CERT-In, a total number of 1,618, 2,124 and 2,853 phishing incidents were reported to them in the year 2010,2011 and 2012 (till October), respectively," he said.
Deora added that CERT-In is working very closely with RBI and other banks in the country towards taking immediate steps to curb phishing attacks, adopting multi-factor authentication and technological solutions for early detection and take down of phishing attempts.
"Section 43A of the IT Act, 2000 and rules notified thereunder establishes a legal framework for data privacy protection in India. It mandates body corporates to implement reasonable security practices, framework for mode of collection, transfer and disclosure of sensitive personal data or information," he said.
Further, Section 66 C and 72 A of the IT Act, 2000 provides for punishment and penalty for identity theft and breach of confidentiality and privacy, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25