No proposal for spl courts for rape cases: Govt
New Delhi: There is no proposal to set up special courts for trial of rape cases, but states are being impressed upon to probe such crimes more efficiently by deputing best officers, Home Minister P Chidambaram said Wednesday.
"At present, there is no proposal under consideration," he said in the Rajya Sabha during Question Hour when asked if the government proposes to set up special courts to ensure speedy trials and expeditious relief and rehabilitation of rape victims and victims of injuries like burns and acid attacks.
He said though police is a state subject, the Centre was "impressing" upon states to depute best officers to probe such cases.
Admitting that there were delays in medical and forensic examination in some cases, Chidamabaram expressed hope that police probed cases of crime against women seriously.
To a query on declining rate of conviction in rape cases, he said it depends on nature of evidence and efficiency of prosecution besides other factors.
As `police` and `public order` are state subjects, the primary responsibility of prevention, detection, registration, investigation and prosecution of crimes, including crimes against women was with the state governments and Union Territory administrations, he said.
"However, the Union Government attaches the highest importance to the matter of prevention and control of crime against women," Chidambaram said.
He informed the House that Ministry of Home Affairs had sent a detailed advisory in September 2009 on crimes against women to all state governments and UTs, asking them to adopt appropriate measures for swift and salutary punishment to those found guilty and set up fast track courts and family courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical