`No proposal to deploy Army in Naxal-hit states`
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Defence Minister AK Antony on Monday ruled out the deployment of Army in Naxal-hit states even as the Centre rushed 2,000 additional paramilitary force personnel to Chhattisgarh in the wake of the Naxal attack on Congress leaders that claimed 27 lives.
“There is no proposal on Army joining anti-Naxal operations in Chhattisgarh, but we will extend all support to State and para-military forces,” Antony said.
The Defence Minister made this remark in Tanjavur in Tamil Nadu.
The Defence Minister’s reaction came shortly after the Centre decided to send additional troops following a request from the Chhattisgarh government which sought more forces to provide security to political leaders as well as to engage in anti-Naxal operations.
Official sources said that the units will be in the state in a day or two.
There are around 30,000 paramilitary personnel already deployed in Chhattisgarh mainly for anti-Naxal operations across the state.
Chhattisgarh is one of the worst Maoist violence-affected states and nearly 1900 lives have been lost in last eight years of which around 570 were civilians, 700 security personnel and the rest were Naxal cadres.
Heavily-armed Maoists had on Saturday ambushed a convoy of Congress leaders in the state`s Bastar district, killing 27 people including PCC chief Patel, his son Dinesh, Congress leader Mahendra Karma and ex-MLA Uday Mudliyar and injuring 32 others, including former Union Minister VC Shukla.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried