‘No proposal to induct women in combat duties’
New Delhi: There is no proposal to induct
women in combat duties in the defence forces including as
fighter pilots in the IAF, government told the Lok Sabha
"Induction of women in combat duties has not been
recommended by studies carried out by Headquarters Integrated
Defence Staff (HQ IDS) in 2006 and High Level Tri-Service
Committee in 2011," Defence Minister A K Antony told the House
in written reply.
He was replying to a question on whether there was any
proposal to recruit women pilots for fighter aircraft and
other combat duties.
On increasing strength of women in the services, he said,
"Recruitment of officers including women officers is an
"There is no separate fixed sanctioned strength for
recruitment of women officers in forces and they are recruited
within overall authorised strength of officers in respective
On policy for granting Permanent Commission to Short
Service Commission women officers, the Defence Minister said
they were eligible to join the Judge Advocate General, the
Army Education Corps and their corresponding branches in the
Navy and the Air Force, as naval constructor in the Navy and
in the accounts branch in the IAF.
"In the Air Force, women will be eligible alongwith men
Short Service Officers for consideration for grant of
Permanent Commission in technical, administration, logistics
and meteorology branches," he said.
Antony said that the government was sensitive to the
issue of granting Permanent Commission to women officers in
more non-combat streams and a matter regarding this was before
the Supreme Court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets