No proposal to raise retirement age of Central Govt employees to 62 years: Narayanasamy
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Putting to rest any speculation that the Centre might raise the retirement age of its staff, Minister of State for Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions V Narayanasamy said on Thursday that there was no such proposal on the anvil.
Narayasansamy was quoted by reports as saying, “There is no proposal to raise retirement age of central govt employees to 62 years.”
There are about 50 lakh central government employees working in various departments including the Railways across the country.
Recent media reports had claimed that the Ministry of Personnel was working on a proposal to increase the age of service by two years as part of government`s plan to defer payouts in the form of pensions and other payments to check fiscal deficit.
It was also speculated that the move may be timed ahead of Lok Sabha elections.
Sources in the Ministry said raising retirement age requires a detailed consultation with all stake holders and discussion with the Finance Ministry. Without the Finance Ministry`s nod, the matter cannot be processed, they said.
The retirement age for a majority of central government employees is 60 years. However, the age for retirement in case of teachers and scientists is 62 years.
Chhattisgarh government has recently increased the age of retirement to 62 years from 60 for its employees.
The age of superannuation varies in state governments with majority of them keeping it at 60 years.
The Centre had in 1998 raised the retirement age of central government employees to 60 from 58 years.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- PM Modi releases digital version of Ramcharitmanas musical