No question of Bhardwaj`s recall: Chidambaram
New Delhi: The Centre on Monday rejected the
demand for recall of Karnataka Governor HR Bhardwaj with whom
the ruling BJP has a running feud.
"There is no question of recalling the Governor", Home
Minister P Chidambaram told a press conference here when asked
about BJP`s demand for recall of Bhardwaj after his last
week`s report recommending a spell of President`s rule in the
state and keeping the assembly in suspended animation.
Notwithstanding the Centre`s decision to reject
Governor`s recommendations, Karnataka Chief Minister BS
Yeddyurappa said on Monday that they would continue to press for
the removal of the Governor.
"The facts (in the Governor`s report for imposition of
President`s rule) did not enable us to come to a conclusion
with regards Article 356," he said explaining last night`s
decision of the Cabinet Committee on Political Affairs (CCPA)
rejecting the Governor`s report.
He said in arriving at the decision the government was
"mindful" of the Supreme Court`s judgment on the issue, an
apparent reference to the SR Bommai judgement which put
strict safeguards in regard to dismissal of a state government
by the Centre.
Replying to questions, he said that the Centre would
issue advisory to the Karnataka government in the aftermath of
the Governor`s report.
On the Governor`s recommendations, Chidambaram said the
"Governor performed his duty and we took our decision".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day