No question of coal blocks cancellation: P Chidambaram
New Delhi: Rejecting the demand of the main Opposition the Bhartiya Janata Party for the cancellation of 142 coal blocks, Finance Minister P Chidambaram said on Monday that the demands were `unsound`.
Addressing the media in the national capital the senior Congress leader also said that BJP’s relentless demand for the resignation of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh was ‘outrageous’.
Elaborating on the issue the Finance Minister said, “Let us take into consideration all the coal blocks which were allotted before 2004 and after 2004. If the policy was flawed it has been flawed since 1993. As of now 30 blocks are producing coal and 17 blocks are likely to start producing soon. 50 blocks are in no go areas, so those problems need to be sorted out.”
He said that the decision to cancel the blocks can only be taken after a fair procedure and not through some arbitrary method. He added, “The fair procedure is under way.”
"If there is any irregularity the CBI probe will bring it out. Let the CAG report take its own course,” he said.
Chidambaram also requested the Opposition to let the Parliament function and start a debate in both the Houses. “A face to face debate is the only way to clarify things and the government is ready for a debate,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM